Dorado n : a constellation in the southern hemisphere near Reticulum and Pictor; contains most of the Large Magellanic Cloud
EtymologyNamed by Dutch explorers Pieter Dirkszoon Keyser and Frederick de Houtman between 1595 and 1597. From dorato, ultimately from deauratus, the past participle of deaurō, "to gild"
- This article is about a constellation in the sky. For alternative uses, see Dorado (disambiguation).
Dorado (, ) is a southern constellation. The constellation was one of twelve constellations created by Pieter Dirkszoon Keyser and Frederick de Houtman between 1595 and 1597, and it first appeared in Johann Bayer's Uranometria of 1603. It is also known as Xiphias or the Sword-fish.
The name Dorado is not a Latin word, but is a Spanish descendant of Latin dē-aurātus = "gilded", but as a constellation name it is treated (by analogy of the adjacent old constellation Argo Navis) like a feminine proper name of Greek origin ending in -ō (like Io or Callisto or Argo) with genitive ending in -ūs (Greek e.g. Καλλίστω - Καλλίστους).
Dorado is notable for containing most of the Large Magellanic Cloud, the remainder being in the constellation Mensa. The South Ecliptic Pole also lies within this constellation.
- S Dor 9.721 – hypergiant in the Large Magellanic Cloud, S Dor variable prototype
- Supernova 1987A is the closest supernova since the invention of the telescope.
- The variable star R Doradus 5.73 – has the largest known size of any star.http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/cdsbib?1997MNRAS.286..957B
- HE 0437-5439, a hypervelocity star escaping from the Milky Way/Magellanic Cloud system
- γ Dor, prototype of the γ Dor variable stars
- See also the list of stars in Dorado
Notable deep sky objects
Because Dorado contains part of the Large Magellanic Cloud, it is rich in deep sky objects. All coordinates given are for Epoch J2000.0.
- NGC 1566 (RA 04h 20m 00s Dec -56° 56.3′) Skyview image is a face-on spiral galaxy. It gives its name to the NGC 1566 group of galaxies.
- NGC 1755 (RA 04h 55m 13s Dec -68° 12.2′) Skyview image is a globular cluster.
- NGC 1763 (RA 04h 56m 49s Dec -68° 24.5′) Skyview image is a bright nebula associated with three type B stars.
- NGC 1820 (RA 05h 04m 02s Dec -67° 15.9′) Skyview image is an open cluster.
- NGC 1850 (RA 05h 08m 44s Dec -68° 45.7′) Skyview image is a globular cluster.
- NGC 1854 (RA 05h 09m 19s Dec -68° 50.8′) Skyview image is a globular cluster.
- NGC 1869 (RA 05h 13m 56s Dec -67° 22.8′) Skyview image is an open cluster.
- NGC 1901 (RA 05h 18m 15s Dec -68° 26.2′) Skyview image is an open cluster.
- NGC 1910 (RA 05h 18m 43s Dec -69° 13.9′) Skyview image is an open cluster.
- NGC 1936 (RA 05h 22m 14s Dec -67° 58.7′) Skyview image is a bright nebula and is one of four NGC objects in close proximity, the others being NGC 1929, NGC 1934 and NGC 1935.
- NGC 1978 (RA 05h 28m 36s Dec -66° 14.0′) Skyview image is an open cluster.
- NGC 2002 (RA 05h 30m 17s Dec -66° 53.1′) Skyview image is an open cluster.
- NGC 2027 (RA 05h 35m 00s Dec -66° 55.0′) Skyview image is an open cluster.
- NGC 2032 (RA 05h 35m 21s Dec -67° 34.1′) (Seagull Nebula) Skyview image is a nebula complex that contains four separate NGC designations: NGC 2029, NGC 2032, NGC 2035 and NGC 2040.
- NGC 2070 (RA 05h 38m 37s Dec -69° 05.7′) is better known as the Tarantula Nebula.
- The above deep sky objects appear in Norton's Star Atlas, 1973 edition.
- Co-ordinates are obtained from Uranometria Chart Index and Skyview.
- Images of the deep sky objects described herein may be viewed at Skyview.
- Ian Ridpath and Wil Tirion (2007). Stars and Planets Guide, Collins, London. ISBN 978-0007251209. Princeton University Press, Princeton. ISBN 978-0691135564.
Dorado in Bengali: সুবর্ণাশ্রম মণ্ডল
Dorado in Belarusian: Сузор'е Залатая Рыба
Dorado in Bulgarian: Златна рибка (съзвездие)
Dorado in Catalan: Orada (constel·lació)
Dorado in Czech: Souhvězdí Mečouna
Dorado in Corsican: Dorado
Dorado in Danish: Guldfisken
Dorado in German: Schwertfisch (Sternbild)
Dorado in Modern Greek (1453-): Δοράς
Dorado in Spanish: Dorado (constelación)
Dorado in Esperanto: Orfiŝo (konstelacio)
Dorado in Persian: ماهی زرین (صورت فلکی)
Dorado in French: Dorade (constellation)
Dorado in Irish: An Colgán
Dorado in Korean: 황새치자리
Dorado in Croatian: Zlatna riba (zviježđe)
Dorado in Italian: Dorado (costellazione)
Dorado in Hebrew: דג זהב (קבוצת כוכבים)
Dorado in Latin: Dorado (sidus)
Dorado in Lithuanian: Aukso Žuvis
Dorado in Hungarian: Aranyhal csillagkép
Dorado in Dutch: Goudvis (sterrenbeeld)
Dorado in Japanese: かじき座
Dorado in Norwegian Nynorsk: Gullfisken
Dorado in Polish: Złota Ryba (gwiazdozbiór)
Dorado in Portuguese: Dorado
Dorado in Romanian: Peştele de Aur (constelaţie)
Dorado in Russian: Золотая Рыба (созвездие)
Dorado in Slovak: Súhvezdie Mečiar
Dorado in Finnish: Kultakala (tähdistö)
Dorado in Swedish: Svärdfisken
Dorado in Thai: กลุ่มดาวปลากระโทงแทง
Dorado in Vietnamese: Kiếm Ngư
Dorado in Turkish: Dorado (takımyıldız)
Dorado in Ukrainian: Золота Риба (сузір'я)
Dorado in Chinese: 劍魚座